The Nigerian Army on Wednesday confirmed the death of three Nigerian soldiers during the attacks by Boko Haram terrorists on Damboa LGA of Borno State.
The Army said the encounter lasted for over an hour, and also saw the killings of 19 Boko Haram terrorists in the brutal attack.
In a press statement released by Colonel Aminu Ilayasu, the Nigerian Army Operations Media Coordinator, on Wednesday, he said the terrorists attacked the troops of 25 Task Force Brigade (Army Super Camp 2) located in Damboa.
He also said the terrorists “mounted on Gun Trucks and with a number of their foot soldiers attempted to infiltrate the troops’ location from three different fronts in the early hours of 4 March 2020.
“The troops responded swiftly, bringing to bear superior fire power against the criminals in conjunction with the Air Task Force Operation LAFIYA DOLE.
“The encounter which lasted over an hour witnessed one of the most debilitating defeats of the Boko Haram criminals in a single encounter since the turn of the year.
“So far, 19 Boko Haram criminals’ corpses have been recovered while many more were observed escaping with various degrees of gunshot wounds by the troops who are on vigorous exploitation of their initial success along the criminals’ withdrawal route.”
He added that the “troops captured from the Boko Haram criminals 5 AK 47 Rifles, one General Purpose Machine Gun and one Rocket Propelled Gun tube. “Regrettably, 3 valiant soldiers paid the supreme prize while 4 others were wounded in action.
“However, the wounded in action soldiers have been evacuated to a military medical facility for immediate and effective management.”
Meanwhile, the family to one of the deceased realised his picture during and when he was killed and mourned on.
The pictures were shared on social media but Daily Mail could not verify their authenticity and so could not publish.