May 30, 2020
Breaking News
April 16, 20208min3090

Kano coronavirus: Index case Doctor explains how the patient lied to infect others

One of the doctors who attended to the coronavirus index case in Kano has explained how the patient lied about his travel history, symptoms and medical history to infect others.

Dr. James King, who shared his experience from the moment the index case was hospitalized said he wanted to be silent but needed to clear the air since it was already in the media.

He explained that the patient whose name he withheld was diagnosed and admitted but provided no details about his travel history which showed he returned to Kano by road and had stopped for some days in Kaduna before his final destination.

He said it was when the authority learned he was admitted at the hospital that they swoop on the patient where he was taken to the isolation Center.

Read the full account below:


I wanted to be silent about this.

But since it’s already on Radio and TV stations, ..and the concerns about my health by many who have reached out,

…it has become imperative for me to tell my COVID-19 mileu.

Here’s the story…

One Alhaji BZ (not real names initials) came to our hospital on Friday, 10th April, 2020.

He had COVID-19.

Unknown to us all.

While evaluating him, he was asked,
“How can we help you sir?”

He replied,
“I’ve been having fever and general body weakness, mouth dryness, loss of appetite.”

“For how long now?”

He replied
“For some days?

More questions,
“Do you have cough, breathlessness or palpitations?”

Alhaji BZ replied,
“No”, I don’t have any of that.”

Many other medical questions were asked and documented.

“Did you travel recently?”

He denied,

He was further evaluated, examined and admitted into a private room upstairs on Friday 10th, April 2020 at about 7:30pm by my boss.

He had contact with two doctors (my boss and I), three nurses and one non-medical staff.

It was unknown to us that he was alleged to have travelled abroad too before returning to my resident state.

Via Abuja travelling by road.

While travelling by road he stayed briefly in Kaduna before arriving to my resident state on the 25th March, 2020.

He denied all these travel history to us.

He also denied about the pertinent Coronavirus symptoms, ..breathlessness and cough.

He also hid the fact that he had been to several medical outlets since his return to the state.

And importantly, he did not provide information that his samples were taken by NCDC for COVID-19 testing before coming to us.

Ofcourse he denied all the above in order for him to have our medical care.

Putting us all and many others at high risk of the novel pandemic.

We also learnt that during his illness before coming to us, he was attending Friday Mosque prayers, naming ceremonies and other gatherings.

While on admission in our facility, a day after admission being a Saturday, we had a Nollywood-like dramatic entrance into our facility by health officials with massive Police presence.

The major road around our hospital was blocked and made a Security Restricted area.

I applaud the state government. Their action was very swift and timely.

The officials told us that we had a man in our facility that just tested positive for COVID-19.

Luckily, my boss, a reknown Neurosurgeon, who was still in theatre while rounding up a delicate Spinal Cord Pedicle Screw Fixation + Laminectomy surgery had to be told.

He derobed.

And met the officials.

There was an order from the Governor of the state to lock down the hospital immediately to prevent further spread.

Alh BZ was whisked away to a quarantine centre outskirt of the state.

We were placed on isolation too in our hospital facility.

Samples were taken from our staff for covid-19 testing.

For many days, we could not physically reach our families or anyone.

Isolated up in the hospital.

The waiting began.

Days rolled by.


All thoughts crept in.

At some point, my boss and I told ourselves that if it’s either positive or negative, we will beat the disease.

Infact we told ourselves that “even if its death, so what !!! We will be dying while in service to humanity.”

When the days rolled by, we began to have some peace.

Infact we were playing Fela Anipolakuti’s music loudly.

Also had Gospel and several country music played.

For many days.

Then the tension began.

The result of our COVID-19 was to be released in a few more days.

The music volume daily became louder. 😂

Phone calls and prayers from family and friends were enormous.

At last the result came out yesterday 15 April, 2020.

And it was NEGATIVE for all is us.

We are still waiting to be released from isolation.

Two Police vehicles have been in our gate since all these started.

They were excited yesterday when our result was released and found to be negative.

They are waiting for directives to let us go home.

We thank Almighty God for everything.

We will keep saving lives.

No matter the cost.

Please observe…

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *