Deputy Commissioner of Police (DCP) Abba Kyari was born into the family of late Alhaji Baba Kyari and Hajiya Yachilla Baba Kyari on the 17th of March, 1975 at Gombe General Hospital in Gombe town, Gombe State, when his father left Maiduguri, Borno State to Gombe Teachers College to earn his Grade II Teachers Certificate, he is a native of Gujba Local Government Area of Yobe State, North East Nigeria.
He had his early education at Government Primary School and Government Secondary School Maiduguri Borno State; thereafter he proceeded to the University of Maiduguri, Borno State, where he bagged a Bachelors of Science Degree in Geography in 1997. He performed his National Youth Service Corps (NYSC) in Akwa-Ibom State in the year 1998.
He was enlisted into the Nigeria Police Force on the 1st of May, 2000 as a Cadet Assistant Superintendent of Police (ASP), and he trained at the Police Academy Wudil, Kano State.
The young Abba Kyari was posted to Adamawa State Police Command in 2002 after graduating from the Nigeria Police Academy and was immediately posted to Song Police Division, where he did his one year mandatory attachment, he was later deployed as the Divisional Crime Officer (D.C.O) Numan, Adamawa State, he later served as Unit Commander 14 PMF Yola, 2 i/c SARS Lagos and O/C SARS Ikeja, Lagos between 2010-2015, he is presently the Deputy Commissioner Of Police (DCP) In-Charge of the Inspector General of Police Intelligence Response Team (IGP-IRT), Force Headquarters Abuja.
He as a Police Officer, has attended both foreign and local courses that include; Combat operations Course Police Mobile Force 2001, 2006 and 2007, Citizenship and Leadership Training Sherry Hills Jos 2001, Trans-Border crimes and best ways to tackle them organized by ECOWAS in Abidjan, Ivory Coast and World conference on kidnapping & Extortion held in Columbia, 2017, International Leadership Program on Transnational Crimes, Kidnapping and Terrorism, on a Special invitation by Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI), Washington D.C, U.S.A. held between April 15th-May 3rd, 2019.
He’s a member International Association of Chiefs of Police (IACP) and has received numerous awards both home and abroad, these awards include; Triple IGP Commendation Medal for Courage 2012, 2013, 2014, Triple Lagos State Governor’s award for Gallantry, Leadership and Service excellence 2011, 2012, 2013, Lagos State Commissioner of Police Commendation Award for Courage 2011, Best Anti-Crime Police Officer in West Africa from Security Watch Africa, Star Award from CRAN 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016 & 2017, Star Award for Outstanding Gallantry in Africa 2018 by Security Watch Africa, Africa’s Best Detective of the Year 2018, The Best Police Officer of the Decade Award, 2018 Hero of the Year Award by Silverbird Group and highest of them all Presidential Medal for Courage from President Mohammadu Buhari on 1/4/2016.
Kyari speaking during receiving one of his awards recently
He has overseen covert operations of many high profile cases that includes;
1. Arrest of Nigeria’s most notorious Kidnap kingpin Billionaire kidnapper Chukwudumeme Onwaumadike Aka ‘Evans’ in Lagos State and his Gang members, now Under Prosecution.
2. Arrest of the killers of former Chief of Defense Staff (CDS) Air-Marshal Alex Badeh ‘rtd’ along Keffi-Gitata Kaduna Road, Under Prosecution
3. Arrest of the most wanted Boko-Haram Commander Umar Abdulmalik and Eight (8) of his Terrorists gang members, Under Investigations
4. Arrest of Twenty-two (22) Boko-Haram Terrorist gang members responsible for the kidnapping of the Chibok School Girls in 2014 and also responsible for series of suicide bombings/attacks and ambush of Security Agents in Borno, Yobe and Adamawa States. Under Prosecution.
5. Captured the most deadly kidnapper in the History of Nigeria, Henry Chibueze Aka “Vampire” in Owerri, Imo State and his gang members, Under Prosecution.
6. Arrest of the deadly Offa Bank robbers, that invaded Offa Town, Kwara State and robbed five Commercial Banks, the gang also murdered over Thirty-One (31) innocent Nigerians Making it the deadliest Bank Robbery in the History of Nigeria. Under Prosecution.
7. Arrest of kidnappers who kidnapped a serving Assistant Comptroller of Customs in Port-Harcourt, Under Prosecution.
8. Arrest of a syndicate of kidnappers, armed bandits and their sponsors in Zamfara State, after the gang had kidnapped a set of twin sisters before their wedding, under Prosecution
9. Arrest of deadly armed robbers and murderers who escaped from lawful custody at the SARS Lokoja, Kogi State, under prosecution.
10. Arrest of deadly kidnappers responsible for the kidnap/murder of Mr. John Iheanacho a staff of Nigerian National Petroleum Corporation (NNPC)/President of Eastern Zone Investment Cooperative Society Ltd, in Port-Harcourt, Rivers State, Under Prosecution.
11. Arrest of suspect responsible for the murder of Lieutenant Abubakar Yahaya Yusuf a serving Naval Officer and his girlfriend Miss. Lorraine Onye in Rivers State, Under Prosecution.
12. Arrest of deadly kidnappers responsible for the kidnap of two South African Citizens in Kaduna State, Under Prosecution.
13. Arrest of the Terrorist responsible for the bombing of Kuje and Nyanya towns of Abuja and recovery of primed bombs in the FCT, Under Prosecution.
14. Arrest of deadly kidnappers responsible for the kidnap of two Americans and two Canadians in Kaduna State, Under Prosecution.
15. Arrest of a Notorious Criminal who threaten to kill the Former Vice-President of Nigeria Alhaji Atiku Abubakar and his family. Under Prosecution
16. Arrest of the kidnappers of elder Statesman Chief Olu Falae in Ondo State, Sentenced to Life imprisonment by Ondo State High Court.
17. Arrest of gang of deadly killers responsible for the killing of several innocent persons in Benue State and recovery of their operational weapons, under Prosecution.
18. Arrest of notorious arms dealer who specializes in selling arms to armed robbers, kidnappers and Politicians in South-West/recovery of over Fifty arms and thousands of life ammunitions, Under Prosecution.
19. Arrest of the most notorious armed robber in the South-West, Abiodun Egunjobi Aka “Godogodo” in Ibadan, Oyo State, he was responsible for the death of over Five hundred (500) innocent Nigerians & Police Officers, Under Prosecution.
20. Arrest of the Kidnappers of the Turkish School Girls in Ogun and Lagos States, under Prosecution.
21. Arrest of the kidnappers/murderers of Barrister Sherif Yazid along Abuja-Kaduna Express road, under Prosecution
22. Arrest of most the notorious kidnapping kingpin in Kogi State Halti Bello and twenty of his gang members, the gang had been terrorizing Kogi State and its environ for many years, who also kidnapped and murdered one Istifanus Gurama a senior staff of Dangote group, Under Prosecution
23. Arrest of more than Twenty 20) different gangs of kidnappers totaling over Three hundred (300) kidnappers and recovery of over Two hundred (200) AK47 rifles and other dangerous weapons used in terrorizing Abuja-Kaduna-Kano Highways, Under Prosecution.
24. Arrest of kidnappers/murderers of the Production Manager of Niger Delta Petroleum Resources Limited Mr. Ubani Onyema ‘m’ 64 years old, in Port-Harcourt, Rivers State, Under Prosecution.
25. Arrest of the most Notorious assassin in the South-west Ade Lawyer and his gang responsible for series of killings in various parts of Lagos State and South-western Nigeria, Under Prosecution
26. Arrest of the Kidnappers of Isheri Landlords in Lagos State, Under Prosecution.
27. Arrest of the Kidnappers of Eighty (80) years old Chief Felix Ogbona in Aba, Abia State, under Prosecution.
28. Arrest of assassins and masterminds who gruesomely murdered Mr. Uba Emmanuel aka Onwa in Festac Town, Lagos State, Under Prosecution
29. Arrest of kidnappers of Dr. Alex Pepple in Port-Harcourt, Rivers State, under Prosecution.
30. Arrest of the Kidnappers of Ikorodu School Girls in Lagos State, under Prosecution.
31. Arrest of the Kidnappers of CBN Governor’s wife in Delta State, Under Prosecution.
32. Arrest of the Kidnappers of Ambassador Bagudu Hirse in Kaduna State, Under Prosecution
33. Arrest of Emeka and group of Kidnappers responsible for the kidnapping and killing of Colonel Yunusa in 2016, a serving Colonel in the Nigeria Army. Under Prosecution.
34. Arrest of the Kidnappers of Serrie Leonian Deputy High Commissioner in Kaduna State, Under Prosecution
35. Arrest of the Kidnappers of former Minister of Finance Okonjo Iweala’s Mother in Delta State, Under Prosecution
36. Arrest of Niger-Delta militants planning to bomb 3rd Mainland bridge/recovery of arms and explosives in Lagos State, Under Prosecution
37. Arrest of Niger Delta militants/notorious Kidnappers and recovery of GPMG, Ak-47 rifles and military grenades in Port-Harcourt, Rivers State, and Under Prosecution.
38. Arrest of notorious gang who planned to Kidnap Nigerian billionaire Femi
Otedola in Lagos State, under Prosecution.
39. Arrest of the Kidnappers of Oniba of Iba a first class King in Lagos State, under Prosecution.
40. Arrest of kidnappers of Hon. Sani Bello member of House of Representatives representing Mashi Federal Constituency of Katsina State (now late), Under Prosecution.
41. Arrest of the Armed Robbers/Militants who attacked and robbed Lekki, Ikorodu, Festac and Agbara Banks in Ogun and Lagos States respectively, under Prosecution.
42. Arrest of the Kidnappers of the three (3) Orekoya’s Children in Lagos State, under Prosecution.
43. Arrest of the Kidnappers of Former Chairman of Ejigbo LGA in Lagos State, under Prosecution.
44. Arrest of Killers of Oyo State member of House of Assembly in Oyo State, under Prosecution.
45. Arrest of the kidnappers and killers of Reverend Father Adeyi in Otukpo Benue State, sentenced to death by Benue State High Court.
46. Arrest of Kidnappers of Alhaji Salami in Abuja, under Prosecution
47. Arrest of five (5) Kidnappers responsible for the kidnap of Channels Television Staff in Abuja.
48. Arrest of the kidnappers of two (2) ABTI American University of Nigeria Female Students in Abuja, under Prosecution.
49. Arrest of the attackers of Nimbo Community in Enugu State and many more breakthroughs that are too numerous to mention. Under Prosecution.
50. Rescue of Magajin Garin Daura from kidnappers in Kano State and Arrest of thirteen (13) of the Kidnappers/Terrorist, Under Investigation.
51. Arrest of a Notorious Southwest Kidnap Kingpin Abubakar Mohd Aka ‘Buba’ and his Gang members in Oyo State. Under investigation
52. Arrest of the deadliest Kidnapper in the Southwest Abdullahi Abubakar aka Osama and his Group in Ekiti State. Under investigation.
53. Arrest of Adamu Umoru aka ‘Dabo’ and gang, kingpin of Abuja-Kaduna Expressway Kidnappers responsible for kidnapping of Dr Mahmoud Chairman UBEC, killing his Driver and many other kidnappings and killings along the Expressway. Under Investigation.
54. Arrest of Usman Moh’d and gang of kidnappers responsible for kidnapping the son of the immediate Past Minister of Health in Oyo State and Many other kidnappings in the South-est. Under investigation.
55. Arrest of Tony Raphael aka ‘Chairman’ and his group, Kidnap Kingpin terrorizing Rivers State. Under investigation.
56. Arrest of Abdullahi Sani and his Group Responsible for the Kidnapping of the Mother in-law of Governor Masari of Katsina State. Under investigation.
57. Arrest of Notorious Kidnapper Isa Abdullahi aka Biyi and his Gang Responsible for Several Kidnappings and Killing In Katsina State. Under investigation.
58. Arrest of Gbenga Ojomo the Most Notorious Illegal Arms and Ammunition Smuggler in Nigeria, Responsible for Smuggling Thousands of Rifles and Ammunition from Libya and Burkina Faso to Nigeria. Under investigation.
59. Arrest of Sunday Abel aka School boy and his Deadly Gang of Kidnappers Terrorizing the Southeast responsible for kidnapping and killing a serving American Soldier in Imo State and many other kidnappings and killings in the Southeast. Under investigation.
60. Arrest of Cajetan Otti and Group of Notorious kidnappers Terrorizing Abia State and Recovery of Several Rifles. Under investigation.
61. Arrest of Divine Nmeni and his gang of Notorious Kidnappers who were responsible for several kidnappings and rapes in Rivers State. Under Prosecution
62. Re-Arrest of notorious Taraba State Kidnap Kingpin Hamisu Bala Wadume and Recovery of Several Rifles after he was Rescued and released from IRT Two (2) weeks earlier. Under investigation.
He fought Armed Robbery, Kidnapping and other violent crimes in Lagos State to Standstill during his five (5) years as OC SARS Lagos State from 2010-2015. Now he is recording tremendous successes across the Nation as the Deputy Commissioner of Police (DCP) In-charge of IGP Intelligence Response Team (IRT).
He is a very patriotic and detribalized Nigerian with high sense of integrity, courage and selflessness. He is happily married with children.
Daily Mail Africa is an online news media published by FINT Nigeria in February, 2017 to deliver objective news on the spot and undertake unbiased news analyses presenting Africa before the world. We are Independent and a non-partisan media group driven by the pursuit of truth and excellent journalism. We would always be impartial by sustaining our integrity through objectivity and defend the common goods.